Thursday, April 25, 2013

Luck

I watched an interesting video last night called "The Secret". Basically, it proposed that by simply focusing your thoughts on wanting things you can influence them happening to you. In other words, if I want something enough, I will get it. It got me thinking about the idea of luck. So many people think luck plays a big role in success. You hear things like, "yeah, he was just at the right place at the right time," or "I have the worst luck in the world."

Do you believe in luck? I don't. I think you make your own. That guy that was in the right place at the right time, he was probably there because of a chain of events he set in motion to get there. He studied, made connections, made contacts, paid attention to the right conversations, sought advice from the right people. Perhaps his parents taught him the right skills and introduced him to the right people. Perhaps his parents were plugged into the right groups and he was able to take over for them. None of that is luck.

Luck suggests there is no control, no power behind the event. It is completely random. I believe in self made luck and in divine intervention. I also believe, to some extent, what that video said. We make our own luck, we attract the things we want when we focus on them. Want to get out debt? Focus on how the life you will have once you have no debt. You will naturally, automatically find ways to get rid of that debt. It's the idea of keeping your eyes on the prize. Want to get a high paying job? Instead of focusing on how much you hate your current job, focus on the job you want. You will find yourself being pulled toward it and it toward you. You will automatically do things to get you closer and closer to it. Sounds a little mystical but it is true. The mind is a powerful tool.

What do you think?

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Your sentiments are spot on for what I think about luck, too.

Post a Comment