Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Enough

What is enough? How do we know when we have enough? I guess the answer can vary based on what specifically we are talking about. Enough money, enough time, enough of some specific possession, etc. What do you do when you think you have enough and then meet someone who has more? How do you react to that? Does that suddenly make you feel like your enough isn't really enough? If you are like me, you often don't feel like you have enough. Sometimes I feel like I am in a race of some sort and am always competing. The funny thing is, I don't even know who I am competing with other than myself. I just know that I don't have enough to win the imaginary competition.

One possible answer to this question is that enough can only come from our spiritual life. Paul shares with us a perspective of contentment no matter the circumstances in Philippians 4:11-12:

"...I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

This is followed by the ever so popular but mostly mis-used "13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength." It's funny that most people use this as a verse of empowerment--I can do anything--almost like a superhero or something--because I have Christ. The truth is, this verse actually says that I can make it through any circumstance because I have Christ. I can be content no matter the circumstance because the only thing I need for contentment is Christ. It is certainly not a license to try power lifting because Christ has given me super muscles.

That's one perspective on "enough". I think that finding contentment means you find what "enough" is. I know there are lots of other perspectives on "enough". I would love to read your ideas. Further, I would really love some pointers on how to quit feeling like I DON'T have enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment