Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Delegating

As I get busier and busier with Real Estate I find that I am more frequently in a position where I need to be two different places at the same time and also need to be working on something else simultaneously. My wife and I talk about how I need to work on time management but I am starting to think that is a red herring. I manage my time pretty well, I just try to cram too many things in each day. The problem is I try to cram too many things in EVERY day. Spacing them out would just mean I was that much more behind. The obvious answer is to delegate some of the tasks away. I can give her some of the tasks, I have some folks at my office that could do some and I could even hire a part time assistant.

My problem is that I am not a very good "delegator". I want to do it. When I delegate I wonder if the person will do the task as well as I would. I also wonder if I am being a burden on them. Both of these "wonders" make it very difficult to assign tasks. I need to get better at it though. You reach a point where taking on more work without more hands is detrimental, both to the hands and to the work.

For those of you in a position like mine, pass along some tips to make delegation easier and how I might be able to better manage having assistance.

4 comments:

Cynthia W. Harmon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Wife said...

I think we may have comments working, you just have to click "Publish" Twice.

Anonymous said...

It is hard because you do not want to give up control. Walked that road myself. It all comes down to 1) choosing the right person as your assistant and 2) how well you have trained that person. Be very thorough.

Anonymous said...

You really need to figure this out. One of the big reasons for leaving teaching/coaching was to have more time for your family. I don't see that working out so well. An assistant would free you up for the things an agent has to handle. Just train them well. And then give them a little room to develop their own system. The important thing is for your clients to feel that they are important and being looked after. And your family to remember what you look like.

Post a Comment