Wednesday, July 11, 2012

No is a very difficult word. I have a hard time hearing it but I have a harder time saying it. I end up overloading my schedule/life because I can't seem to use this tiny, one syllable, two letter word. Part of it is that I want to please people. Part of it is I don't want to "miss out on something." Both are terrible excuses.

Think about this from a basic economic principle, every decision has trade-offs. When you choose to do one thing with your resource (time, money, brainpower, etc.), it is impossible to do something else with that exact resource. How you allocate your resources is called budgeting. This principle is so very important when you are a dad with a very demanding job. Every minute I choose to work is a minute I don't spend with my kids, my wife, my friends. This is ok if I am aware of it and make those decisions consciously. The problems arise when work becomes a compulsion or when I am addicted to "yes." The issue is further complicated by extra activities--church, friends, other family, hobbies, Facebook, etc. Every time I choose those items, I DON'T choose the rest of them. Prioritization is essential. Inability to say "no" is devastating.

How do you say no? How do you prioritize? Are there some tricks you can share to make this easier?

1 comment:

Daniel said...

The hardest part is actually deciding on "no." Resolve and will power are resources that are difficult to come by; and both are necessary to follow up on tough decisions.

I think the trick is to consciously think about priorities. With an accountability partner (best friend, spouse, or parent), list out your priorities and practice decision-making with these in mind. Is this something I do well? No... I don't. However, I recognize this as a potential solution for myself and possibly others.

Post a Comment