Over the next few weeks, I am going to revive this idea of common lies. I will be looking specifically at lies that permeate the church and create an environment and culture within the church that is not healthy or inviting for others. Disclaimer: I don't necessarily believe that everything I will call a lie is a purposeful bending or omission of the truth. Some of these are just thoughts that have been twisted and misused for so long that they are "truths" within the church that need to be challenged or thrown out completely. Some of these are just a discussion of semantics BUT semantics are important. Words are the tools we use to communicate about our emotions and religion. Word choice is, therefor, supremely important.
Here are a few of the topics I plan to cover.
- Young people are the future of the church
- Hate the sin, love the sinner
- Christianity is about loving everyone
- You shouldn't care what other people think of you
- Judging others is wrong
- You don't have to attend church to be a good Christian (of course it is also a lie that just because you attend church you must be a good Christian)
- Christians must stand up for themselves in society