Thursday, August 15, 2013

Truisms and Soundbites



I wish I could have met Ben Franklin. He was a master at the soundbite. So much so that people attribute all kinds of things to him that he may or may not have even said. Soundbites are awesome because people will remember them, sometimes laugh at them and will almost always recognize the "truth" in them. It takes skill to weave them into conversation without sounding like an idiot. I would definitely not say I am a master at it yet. It is a worthwhile pursuit though in being an effective communicator. If you can convey an entire idea in a short, catchy, memorable, poignant "saying", that's a big win. It is the art of "less is more" when it comes to talking to people.

Here is a list of sayings/soundbites/truisms I use sometimes. I have "collected" these over the years from all kinds of sources. Please add your own to the list. If you feel you must explain them, go for it:

Pigs don't know pigs stink
If I can smell it, I can't sell it
The fortune is in the follow up
The answer is always no if you don't ask
That's a $10,000 cat
Never let perfect stand in the way of better
A closing date is a lot like a pregnancy due date (Thanks Tracy Taylor)
If its not in writing, it didn't happen
Everything is negotiable
Excuses are like armpits, everyone's got em and they all stink
God only made so many perfect heads. The rest he put hair on. (makes me feel better about myself)
Work is worship
Perception is personal reality
Just care.

Some I like but haven't really used:
Clutter Eats Equity
If you have to sleep on it, you might not sleep in it
When you buy the best, you only cry once
Luck, where preparation meets opportunity
You don't have to be a millionaire to be sued for a million bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment