Thursday, January 23, 2014

Asking For Help

This has got to be one of the hardest things for me. I believe in self-sufficiency. I don't want to be a burden on people and I don't want folks to feel obligated to do something they don't want to do. I am also a bit on the proud side. It could be the way I was raised, my dad is a pretty self sufficient guy and my mom is pretty independent as well. It could be my own stubborn pride. It could be that I have been very blessed and don't feel like I have the "right" to ask for help. Either way, it is a problem I struggle with on a regular basis.

That's right, not asking for help is a problem. Here's why:

  1. When I don't ask for help (but I need it), I over-extend myself and can sometimes do a bad job. Over-extension inevitably leads to stress and hurry and not my best effort
  2. When I am stressed and in a hurry, I forget to do important things like pray with my kids or help get them to school/daycare or pay attention to my wife or spend time with friends
  3. When I don't ask for help I forget to make other people feel important. I like to help other people. It makes me feel important, like I have a mission. When the task is complete, I like the feeling I get when someone says, "Thanks man, I couldn't have done it without you." Other people like that same feeling and when I don't ask for help, I rob someone of that feeling.
  4. When I don't ask for help, I miss opportunities to build stronger relationships. Nothing will build camaraderie like a good day's labor together or solving a problem together. If you do everything on your own all the time, you don't get this.
  5. When I don't get someone else's opinion on complicated tasks, I don't get to learn. I am a pretty smart guy. I know a little bit about a lot of stuff. However, there are A LOT of people that are A LOT smarter than me. If I don't enlist help sometimes, I never get the opportunity to learn from someone better than me at that task. In other words, I lose. 

The funny thing is, most of the time people don't ask for help because they "don't want to bother" someone else. A lot of times, that someone else would truly LOVE to help someone. They would love to be important enough and held in high enough regard that the person would ask them to help. It makes us feel good to help. So ask and I will too. Just don't over do it. You can change your own light bulbs (unless they are way high up, then don't call me, I'm scared of heights). 

Things you can help me with right now:
  1. I need some listings to sell. If you or your friends or your friends' friends are thinking about moving, tell them about me. Give them my phone number. I want to meet them and see if I could help them.
  2. I would love some buyers! I need some clients that are ready to buy. Taylore and I would love to work with you and your friends to help you find the perfect home.
  3. I need some agents!! I am hiring!!! If you've ever thought about starting a career in real estate, I want to talk with you. If you are currently in real estate and feel stagnant, I want to talk to you. If you are in real estate and want a fresh approach or you don't like where you are, I want to talk to you!!!
  4. I want to hear from you. I am on Yelp, Facebook, Zillow and several other sites. I would LOVE for you to provide a review on these places. 
  5. I would love for you to pray for me. Last year I helped almost 60 families make a huge life decision. That is incredibly humbling and almost a little scary. Pray that I do a great job for my clients and offer the best advice for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment