Thursday, December 5, 2013

Time Management

Time Management is always the hardest part of my day. I have a finite amount of time to do what seems like an infinite number of tasks. I delegate what I can but still have more stuff to do than I could possibly dream of completing. I have great help but sometimes it is hard for me to delegate because I feel like it takes longer for me to explain what I want than to just do it myself.

Part of the reason time management "feels" like more of a problem is that many times, the tasks that get put aside are the personal stuff--the time with family, the football game, cub scouts, family dinner, etc. One way I have "gotten better" at time management is to force those activities into the schedule and NOT put them aside. If that means I have to reschedule something else, then so be it. It feels better to shift business around family instead of the opposite. I also try to schedule things and try to schedule drive times. That can get tricky if I am meeting with a client because you never know if those meetings are going to run over. It does help if you don't schedule back to back client meetings, build in a buffer if at all possible.


One other HUGE drain on my time is my inbox. I know email is important but there is an efficient way to do it and an inefficient way. Contrary to popular belief, multi-tasking is typically NOT efficient. Trying to write this blog and simultaneously looking at every new email as it comes in, constantly shifting my focus around is detrimental to getting anything done. I have heard suggestions to plan email time. I haven't done it yet but I am strongly considering it.

What time management tricks have you heard? What works for you? What are your biggest drains?

No comments:

Post a Comment